By June 13, 2008 Read More →

Do I Need To Register My Car To Get Auto Insurance in New York?

Share on Facebook
Post to Google Buzz
Bookmark this on Delicious
Bookmark this on Digg

Reader’s Question:

Do I have to register a car first in Bronx New York before insuring it or is it the other way around?


Bronx, New York (NY)

You need to insure your car before registering it in Bronx New York . When registering a car one of the items you need to bring to the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles is a New York State Insurance Identification Card (FS-20).

The Insurance Identification Card can be a fax or a copy, but the barcode must be readable by a New York DMV barcode reader. After you purchase a car, bring the proof of ownership to an insurance agent or broker authorized to do business in NYS, and get this required insurance card.

The registration application must have the same name as the FS-20 and must have a barcode. The FS-20 must be presented within forty five days of the effective date of the insurance coverage.

Posted in: Insurance Laws

Comments are closed.